Actually, living in = Arizona, this sort of thing is near and dear to us.  I read a study.  White = cars stay cooler.  If it isn't white, it doesn't much matter what color = it is.  In other words, beige cars get just as hot as black = ones.  White reflects the most.  Maybe if it was chrome, but silver is not chrome.

----- Original Message -----
From: Joe = L.
To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM
Sent: Tuesday, May 16, 2000 = 9:52 AM
Subject: Anyone ever try a = Westy "Chrome Dome"

   A whole lot longer ago than I really care = to contemplate I spent a sultry
summer going through Marine Corps boot = camp in South Carolina. On days when
the sun really beat down and the temps = climbed our tormentors would hand out
"Chrome Domes". These were helmet = liners painted silver to reflect the sun
and (theoretically) keep our = heads cooler than they otherwise would have
been, thus allowing a continuation = of the fun and games without the
inconvenience of having too many = collapsed bodies littering the area.
   Every now and then I look at the fiberglass top of my non-airconditioned
Westy and wonder if a = silver paint job would cool things down any better
than the present white paint = job. Anyone ever try this?