on 5/15/2000 11:05 PM, Todd Guttman at tguttman@COLUMBUS.RR.COM wrote:

Have any Westy owners on the list tried treating their canvas t= ops with Nikwax Cotton Proof?  I've used Nixwax products on leather boo= ts and 'tired' laminate clothing (Ultrex) with great results - waterproofing= renewed and nearly bombproof.  (http://www.nikwax-usa.com/)

I'm tentatively planning to spray the canvas on our somewhat permeable West= y's top with Nikwax's Cotton Proof product and wondered if anyone else has a= lready tried the same.

Thanks for sharing any results and/or tips.

Todd Guttman

85 Westy 'Rivendell'  - recently re-titled here in Columbus, Ohio as a= 'motorhome' with a $120 reduction in annual insurance costs.  Thanks t= o the list for that tip!

Nikwax products are breathable. They use an encapsulation of fibers idea in= stead of plugging the holes between the fibers idea.  So, you could use= that but it works best in submersed solution (the washing machine) applicat= ions. (I don't know how you would dunk the canvas other than taking it off a= nd that is unnecessary)
You could also use a product called Techtron mfged by Blue Magic Corp (not = the Chevron Techron). It is basically spray teflon in a can and does a reall= y good job. Available at most better outdoor shops.
The trick to making any water repellancy formulation last is to have the su= rface as clean as possible and then to have as little of the cleaning residu= e remain behind.
Thats why the newest DWR (durable water repellancy) formulation for waterbr= oof breathables advises the user to wash the garment without any soap at all= . You'd be amazed at how great water cleans by itself!
Cheers,
Dave C.
Williamsburg, VA
          zzzzzzzzz__         |E[__] [__]|[_]\\