Good day to all!

The following is a plea for help :)  I have been struggling with an intermittent starting problem for the past 6-8 months now and have come to the this list in the hopes of getting some feedback from members that have a greater understanding of the Vanagon's 'inner workings'.

1985 Vanagon/Westfalia
-Automatic
-Approx. 230 000 km

Problems to rule out:
1.  Starter motor (Had a rebuilt starter tested and installed last week)
2.  Relay located on underside of van (I don't know if there are a multiple number of these, but I have had wires and the rely itself replaced).
3.  Battery has been tested over and over and over...no problems here!
4.  Alternator tested...no problems here

The history:

Note:  The problem has remained the same, simply, the van will not start.  It does not attempt to turn the engine over.  There is relatively no noise when attempting to start (not even a clicking sound).  In fact the only noise that can be heard is a slight "sizzling" sound (it actually sounds like an electrical current trying to bridge some type of connection).  I have been unable to isolate where this sound is coming from....although it is only audible if you are lurking around the engine.

My questions to the list:

That's all I have.  I hope somebody out there may be able to help me out.  I apologize for the long winded e-mail but unless I am very detailed people seem to think it some "normal" problem a brush it  off.

I have spent $2000.00 (granted canadian funds :) trying to fix this and have seen three mechanics.  None have been able to fix the problem.

Thanks in advance!

Jon Whittington
jkstraw@magma.ca