IMHO, the rear brakes do not "self adjust" = the way the Bendix brakes do.  You really have to get them close = by hand after installing everything.  With a 2WD you can at least = rotate one tire while adjusting the brakes in order to feel when they = begin to drag.  (unlike a *^%* Syncro where the entire drive train = wants to turn)  Also, I have been told that it is best to loosen = the parking brake all the way before adjusting the brakes.  = Otherwise you end up adjusting against the parking brake tension = instead of 100% against the brake drum.

To do this you will need to get a regular "brake = spoon" and grind one end of it narrower so that it will fit into = the tiny hole in the Vanagon backing plate.  (A normal Bendix = spoon will be too wide).

Brent Christensen
'89 GL Syncro Westy
Santa Barbara, CA