Brent,
I have not been inside the power mirror itself, but = a few years ago I was having trouble with it coming loose and folding back = against the body. I was leaving on a camping trip to north of Las Vegas, so I = temporarily put duct tape around the arm. This didn't work too well because of the = hot Nevada sun, the adhesive softened and I had to keep opening the wiindow = and pushing the mirror back out. Once in camp I carefully pried off the = plastic cap on the bottom and saw that the nut and spring had come off of the shaft = and the wires run up through it all. It was a tedious PITA to work around the = wires and get the spring on and thread the nut on, all up inside where there isn't = much room. Anyway, I got it on, and used two screwdrivers in the notches in = the nut to tighten it. When I got home, I took a cheap bicycle wrench, the thin = flat kind, and on the 9/16th size, ground the tips down flat so that they = bridge the wires and fit in the slots. Now I can tighten it with pliers on the end = of the wrench.
Jerry
----- Original Message -----
From: BRENT CHRISTENSEN
To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM
Sent: Monday, May 22, 2000 = 12:20 PM
Subject: Power mirror = "tune-up"

With the recent discussion of floppy mirrors, I = found myself wondering about improving the operation of the power windows in the Syncro.  While they currently work fine, the driver's mirror is = very noisy and slow.  Has anyone ever pulled the mirrors apart and = given them a "tune-up"? Are there some parts that could benefit from cleaning and = greasing, or other kinds of PM?

Brent Christensen
'89 GL = Syncro Westy
Santa Barbara, CA