It has been about 7-8 years, but I used to get all = kinds of performance parts for Rabbits, GTi's and Sciroccos from = several companies (there are lots).  Neuspeed was one I = remember.  Most of the performance parts make power in the = higher-rpm ranges (where you are living with that diesel trans).  = However, you are often going to sacrifice low-end grunt (which is what = you really need).  Some things I did on my old Scirocco to = increase off-the-line grunt:

Free flowing exhaust with European GTi 4-2-1 manifold = (sound like you have this already)
Bigger AFM (~100 mm I think)
Larger throttle body, match ported to intake = manifold
"Euro" grind cam
Balanced and blueprinted motor with 10:1 = pistons
Lightened flywheel

With this setup I used to eat 8v GTi's for lunch, and = could hang with the 16v Sciroccos and GTi's up through 3rd gear.

Driving a Vanagon is a whole different thing, though, = so I don't know if much of this applies to your situation...  = (i.e. YMMV)

Brent Christensen
'89 GL Syncro Westy
Santa Barbara, CA