Hi all,

On Saturday, 5/27/2000 we'll have a chance to meet = with Jason McWilliams.  Jason is designing AirLift's = (airliftcompany.com) air suspension systems for VW applications.  = So far full suspension kits are available for the Bug and the = Split-Window Bus.  Jason is currently working on a full suspension = systems for the Transporter (68-79) and the Vanagon (2wd and hopefully = 4wd).  An auxiliary air suspension system is already available for = the Transporter and the Vanagon (rear axle only).

There has been some discussion on the list about air = suspension systems in recent weeks.  So far I was only aware of = the auxiliary system for the Vanagon.  The fact that there are = plans for a full system is new(!!!).  So what's the = difference?

Full air suspension
This system replaces the coil springs with air = bags.  The pressure in the air bags can be controlled by a = compressor that's installed in the vehicle.  Pressure gauges and = control buttons are installed on the dash board.  With the full = air suspension the ride height and the stiffness of the suspension can = be changed by adjusting the air pressure in the air bags.

Auxiliary air suspension
This system does not replace the coil springs, = instead air bags are installed inside the coil springs.  The = pressurized air bag adds to the stiffness of the coil spring.  = This is great for loaded traveling (additional load capacity) and for = people with trailers.  It also helps with worn/sagging coil = springs.  For this system a compressor is optional.  The air = bags can be pressurized with a regular tire pump or at the gas = station.

Jason will bring a bug that has the full air = suspension installed so we can see what it looks/feels like.  I = will bring my Syncro Westy that has the auxiliary air suspension incl. = compressor and dual-gauge controls installed.  It should be quite = an informative meeting.

If you can't attend but have a question or would like = to provide input to the design of the air suspension, pmail me and I = will compile a FAQ from the responses.

The meeting will take place on Saturday, 5/27/2000 = sometime in the morning in San Francisco, CA.  Exact time and = place will be announced on Friday.  If you're interested please = mark your calendars and stay tuned.

Peter Buettner's "Air Suspension Tests" = article: http://vanagon.com/syncros/technica/airlift-test/index= .html
Otmar "The Stretch" Ebenhoech's = "Suspension and Wheels" article: http://www.evcl.com/vw/SuspensionWheels/Frame.html=
Air Lift web site: http://airliftcompany.com/

Best,