= Ford did come up with just such a procedure to maintain the A/C system on their = vehicles, about ten  years ago. The solvent that was originally used in this = type of application  was Freon TF solvent.   Liquid oxygen = facilities formerly  used this often to assure the removal of all petroleum = products in aircraft or whatever, because of the explosive potential.   Ford reintroduced this because they have a = truck that has 3 expansion valves and  thus often there is not enough = force in the system to push debris out to the filter dryer.   They also = recommended it for  all their vehicles for whatever reason. It does = work but it is expensive as I recall.
  = It is most likely the dryer  desiccant   that is spread through = this  A/C system now, the  color would indicate  this is the contaminant.  There are also some other cleaning systems available = for this purpose,  I have seen  air brake alcohol recommended for this = purpose, it evaporates and it is very inexpensive.
  = It sounds to me like your mechanic knows what he is talking = about.
  =
  = hope this helps reassure you;
  = Jeff/ Florida