I'm new to the VW Vanagon experience, = but completely hooked. Wife and I are ready to move up from tent camping and = have no desire for full size (ford/chevy) conversions. My wife is German and I = admire German engineering (being an engineer myself). I have looked at a couple = of Westys and know that is what I am looking for. Currently I have an 86 = and 87 Westy (2WD) that I am going to have to drive 300 miles to inspect. = I am told everything works and the engines are in working order. They are = both at about the 100K mark.

Any major items I should = watch out for with these years? Should I find a local shop to give me a compression = and leak down test (possibly a cooling system check also?) Is rust a major = concern? Where should I look?Should I consider a blown engine van a do a rebuild or a = different (Subaru?) engine? Is there a way to check clutch or = tranny?

I realize this is a lot to ask, = but I know this group consists of the experts, and I want to be as = educated as possible before purchase. Thanks in advance for = advice.

Also, any experience pulling a = 1000 pound trailer with a Vanagon?

Phil Walker
Engineering = Consultant
Next Dimension Engineering
pwalker@nextdimengineering= .com