This is a common = question, and is asked often enough that there is a document written up on = it.

Go to www.vanagon.com, and go to the index = section called "info" - then read the FAQ's.

I'd add that it's a good idea to take the van to an independent = and experienced VW garage, and have them check it over - looking at the = points mentioned in the FAQ stuff.

I'll also add that it's a good idea to = try the AC, if there is one, and also try the stove and sink. IE: Turn on the stove, = does it work? Have them put water in the water tank, does the faucet pump work?

If it's an automatic - no specific = problems to look for. If it's a manual - check that it holds all the gears - as I hear = that sometimes, the manual transmission can't stay in/or get into 3rd or 4th gear.

If the fridge doesn't seem to work - = that's totally normal - it takes near an hour to feel anything, and it makes no noise = at all, unless it's brutally hot inside the van, and the fan turns on. Odds are = it won't.

Does it have both tables and associated = arms, the curtains for the front windshield, and for the sliding = door?

Does the front windshield fan work, and = does it make a squealing sound? If so - that's prolly $300 CDN or thereabouts to = replace fan, including labour.

Does the rear heater work?  (smell = for coolant) - sort of like maple syrup smell - if so, it needs fixing up.

Finally, open the poptop - check the = canvas, window screen etc. Is the rubber poptop seal good?

Open the upper and lower beds, and = check for rips etc.

Good luck!

When I bought my van, I was too = ignorant to know any of this stuff - but I got extremely lucky - as I paid too much. At = least I got a good van, and not a "project"!

Cheers!

Marshall Ruskin
84 Westy "Iron = Igloo"

I'm new to the VW Vanagon = experience, but completely hooked. Wife and I are ready to move up from tent camping = and have no desire for full size (ford/chevy) conversions. My wife is = German and I admire German engineering (being an engineer myself). I have = looked at a couple of Westys and know that is what I am looking for. Currently I = have an 86 and 87 Westy (2WD) that I am going to have to drive 300 = miles to inspect. I am told everything works and the engines are in working = order. They are both at about the 100K mark.

Any major items I should = watch out for with these years? Should I find a local shop to give me a = compression and leak down test (possibly a cooling system check also?) Is rust a = major concern? Where should I look?Should I consider a blown engine van a = do a rebuild or a different (Subaru?) engine? Is there a way to = check clutch or tranny?

I realize this is a lot = to ask, but I know this group consists of the experts, and I want to be as = educated as possible before purchase. Thanks in advance for = advice.

Also, any experience pulling a = 1000 pound trailer with a Vanagon?

Phil Walker
Engineering = Consultant
Next Dimension Engineering
pwalker@nextdimengineering= .com