on 6/5/2000 6:37 AM, The Gunnings at ngunn@LANDMARKNET.NET wrote:

New member.  Just rebuilt 85 vanagon 1.9 wi= th 192,000 miles.  Ran great for 121 miles then began having electric t= witters.  Rebuilt starter before noticing burnt wires.  Further ch= ecking revealed burnt fuel injection relay and, ultimately, a burnt smell co= ming from the vent hole of the ecu.  After checking around and finding = nobody willing to check-out the ecu, I decided, that, hey, It should not tak= e a rocket scientist or brain surgeon to take a peek into an ecu.  Popp= ed the top and, sure enough, there is an obvious burnt thingamajig inside th= e ecu.  But it looks like only one burnt thingamajig.  So now I se= ek an ecu.  It appears that original ecu was made by Bosch, which my li= mited understanding suggests may be the preferred unit to run.  Anyone = out there willing to let me know if there are different ecus, such as others= made by vw, which will work for my 1.9?  I think I want a Bosch replac= ement, if there are any out there and if I can find one.  A used but fu= nctional ecu would be ok.  Anyone out there who has such a used Bosch u= nit and is willing to sell or trade, please let me know.  Thanks.

There is  a fellow on this mailing list that rebuilds ECU's. Hopefully= he will speak up or contact you directly.
New units are really expensive! If you can repair it,
Cheers,
Dave C.
Williamsburg, VA
          zzzzzzzzz__         |E[__] [__]|[_]\\
        | _DC&SP | _ ||
'85 GL Westy (His)
'91 Cabriolet (Hers)
that is the economical way to go.
You also need to try and trace the cause of the overload or you just might = have it happen twice