From: Bill Davidson [mailto:wdavidson@thegrid.net]<= /FONT>
Sent: Monday, June 05, 2000 10:00 AM
To: BRENT CHRISTENSEN; = vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM
Subject: Re: Re: I've seen the Tii conversion = completed

Brent,

Yes it would be great to see all the engine = conversion options organized on a web site...

But I think it is also important for people to know = what kind of a choice they are making when the do a conversion.

That is, the choice to deal with the smog laws in = their state which may not allow conversion... far better to know this = before than after.

Also, it is important to know that after a conversion = it may be had to get a mechanic to work on your engine... I doubt any = VW dealer would touch it... and the best VW mechanic I know (George of = German Motors in Tahoe City) said of conversions: "We don't do = them, and we won't touch one anyone else has done."

And even if you find a local mechanic that will work = on it, what happens when you are far from home... who will you find to = work on a conversions out in Utah or Wyoming or....

Perhaps the only people that can live with the = service situation on a conversion are people who are committed to doing = their own engine work and people who have a mechanic that will work on = it and they don't drive all that far from where their mechanic is = located.

It's easy to get excited about a new/better engine... = it's a nice dream.... but there are some realities that are best = considered before committing to a conversion.

My 2 cents...
Bill