Mark:

Probably what you saw was a Sportsmobile.  They = offer both 2wd and 4wd versions with many different interior layouts, = most based on a Ford full sized van chassis (also available on Chevy or = Dodge chassis, but the 20 or so I have seen were all Fords).  All = have a straight up pop-top.  Sportmobile was one of the original = VW microbus conversion companies - that is where they got their start = (around '61 I think).

Prices for the 4 x 4 version are comparable to a = fully-loaded Eurobago. ($45,000 range).  But - available with a = 305 hp 6.8 L V10 engine (or a 210 hp V8 diesel).  Yea = baby!

www.sportsmobile.com

Brent Christensen
'89 GL Syncro Westy
Santa Barbara, CA