I have written my story in the past, = but I never took the time to elaborate.
Here is my experience.

An Alternate Method to Costly Head = Repair on Leaking Vanagon Heads.

Like many vanagon owners,  I was faced with the = purchase of a Vanagon that was wonderful except for a little coolant leak near = one of the heads.  Understand this was "pre-vanagon newsgroup" for = me and I had no idea that this was a chronic problem when = someone used phosphated coolant.

 If your experience is the same as mine, it = starts out with an occasional flashing light on the temp gage and a temp needle = that is pegged right after starting the van.  This is from the level going = down in the coolant head tank and not from overheating as the engine hasn't had = time to even warm up yet.  Its a panic the first time you see it and you = check the coolant in the overflow tank.  Maybe low, maybe not.  The low = level sensor is in the tank in the engine compartment (drivers side, to the = left of the "add tank") not the one behind the license plate.  An = interesting thing happens when the coolant is not too low,  the = light will flash for a few minutes as the system sucks the tank low, and when the = engine warms enough to open the thermostat, the circulating action allows the = tank level to recover enough for the light to go out.   Also, = understand that the cooling system fills itself from the overflow tank only when = the system is cooling down after you shut off a warm engine.  Adding coolant = to the expansion tank (behind the license plate) will not immediately fill the system.  The contraction caused by cooling = fluid sucks coolant from the "add" tank.

One of the difficulties in identifying the leak, is = the fact that it may not be leaking while the van is at idle.  Quite often, = you need to rev the engine while looking into the engine compartment to build = enough pressure for the leak to be apparent.  You may not even have a = puddle as the leak is usually worse when you are under way.  Before I = realized this, the only way I could tell where it leaked was to notice the funny = discoloration on the exhaust pipe where the coolant was squirting when I was driving.   After I knew generally where to look, I rev'ed the = engine and saw the tiny squirt coming out.

I found that I could buy some time = before the rebuild by adding fine saw dust to the head tank.  In fact, I = delayed the rebuild for almost a year.  Now before you blow me off as a hack = that dosen't care about maintenence, be it known that I have worked in = numerous auto factories and GM puts little cubes of sawdust in every car that goes = down the line.  I don't recommend it for a long term fix, but it will allow = you time to study up and start saving your pennies.

This experience happened on an '84 = that already had 100,000 miles on it when I bought it.  When I decided that it = was time, I dropped the engine and removed the heads.  Upon  discovering = the pitting,  I sat and thought about it for a while.  I have = raced air cooled VW's for a while and I'm not afraid to radically alter the heads, = but this was my wife's daily driver.
Option = 1)  Mill the heads:   Due to the = construction of the waterboxer, if you mill the coolant sealing surface, you must also = equally mill the combustion  surface.  Great if your looking for = performance and willing to run racing fuel, but the increase in compression is not = usually desired on a daily driver.
Option = 2)  Replace the heads:  Not even a consideration on my budget.
Option 3)  Find a way to restore the sealing surface.   I got in touch with the JB Weld  technical = personnel and they said that their product would withstand 500 degrees.  = Since the heads are in contact with coolant,  they can't get that high = without first boiling away all of the coolant.  Figured I'd give it a try.  = Since I didn't have a sandblaster at the time, I carefully cleaned out all of = the aluminum oxide (the white, scaly corrosion) with a dental pick.  If = I did it again, I'd use a sandblaster after masking  off the combustion chamber,  if only for the time involved.    After = the scale was removed to my satisfaction , I cleaned the whole surface with a = solvent (carb cleaner).   I purchased a fresh pack of normal JB Weld = (not the quick set) and applied a thin layer to the whole sealing surface and let = it harden for a day.  After it had hardened,  I took a file to = the area until I started to get close to aluminum.   I had some areas = that didn't get filled well so I added more JB Weld to the areas that I had missed.  Let it harden another day and got it close again with a file.  Once I was close, I got some 400 grit sandpaper and taped it = to a flat surface.  In my case, a piece of glass worked perfectly as = long as you don't drop the head on it.  Start working the head over the = sandpaper in a figure eight motion and try to keep the sanding even.  Look often = at your progress and adjust your pressure or motion in able to keep the removal even.  Once you start getting down to the original aluminum, you = should have a surface that is flat with the pits filled in.  If you have = any remaining holes, you may have to re-apply and re-sand.  I = purchased  an OEM gasket set and it had the black sealant for the seals and the = yellow sealant for the bolts.  About $200 for my gaskets.  =

While I had it down for the repairs,  I = replaced the bearings, seals, and rings.  The crank measured EXACTLY the Bently = spec's and I did nothing to it.  I did re-lap the valves manually and that = was about it.   The piston pins can be a bear if you don't have = the puller, so be careful to set both pistons to mid stroke to avoid pulling = the pistons out of the cyclinders if they stick to the head.  I have = some ideas if you run into a pin removal problem but that's not the subject of this = article.  Other than that,  pretty straight = forward.

The story would end there except that a month later = my wife accenditally pulled it into 1st  gear while doing about 65 = mph.  The engine came down again to replace 4 exhaust valves as they all touched = when the engine over-rev'd and I had 0 compression.  No other damage.  = Did the work with the engine in the van.  Re-used the head seals with = sealant that I had left over.

That engine has another 120,000 on it and it has not = leaked a drop from the heads.  I am no longer afraid of leaking = Vanagons.  In fact,  I look for them as they are good engines when fed and cared = for properly.   Once you are comfortable with this method,  = you can find some deals.  Basically a total rebuild while repairing the = leaks for under $500 and some time.

Hope this helps when deciding which = way to go....
Good = luck
Mark Rokus

I would imagine that the material that has = been posted is due to what has been provided in the past.  I think it would be = great if you could provide me with an article on the JB Weld method, as I know = that it has been popular with many List members.  I would be more than = happy (and perhaps even grateful) if you could write something up and send it to me.

Thanks again,

Brent Christensen
'89 GL Syncro Westy
Santa Barbara, CA