Hi Listees!

Haven't been here since August / September of = '98.  At that time our '88 swallowed it's engine (sudden major headgasket failure = on startup that got enough coolant in the cylinder to fracture a = piston).  Took us a year (mostly having nothing to do with the Vanagon) to decide = that we would not do a conversion, but stick with a rebuilt Waterboxer.  In = the meantime, with our Vanagon in storage in the garage, I couldn't stand reading the mail from all of you other listees, so I dropped out.  Got the rebuilt from Fast German Auto last summer.  = Included performance upgrade of ratio rockers and the S&S header.  The = rebuild was installed by me and my 11 year old son.   We drove it from = August to December 25, 1999. We hit a deer coming back from Christmas at = my brother's house.  Original estimate: $5,500 and the adjustor wanted = to total it.   Chose a body shop that rebuilds show = quality splitties.  I accepted a used door and radiator, and he limited his = labor cost.  We're back in business.

Just last weekend I finally got all of our = performance potential working together.  I'll list what we've done.  Might = look like I'm made of money, but lots of people throw their money at worse things.
Engine: Ratio Rockers, K&N Air Filter, = S&S Headers, 16V Scirocco catalyst (the BIG one), 2.25" Walker Super = Turbo muffler w/ stainless tailpipe (truly sounds nice, had a 16 year old = convinced it was a 911 engine!), Jacobs ignition amplifier, Bosch Platinum +4 plugs, = Spring on AFM advanced 4 notches (richer), ignition timing advanced 4-5 = deg.  Everything else is new and/or very carefully set = up.    Has amazing torque off of idle, it pulls **hard** to redline.  I can = pull out and pass others at 70mph uphill!!  Other stuff:  stock springs = lowered approx. 1.5" by cutting and heating (don't ask, I know about butcher = jobs, this one's close), Bilsteins with lowered bottom mounts and polyurethane foam = bumpstops.  Front and rear camber set to negative one degree.  = Experimented with H&R springs.  Clearly they were designed for = the aircooled Vanagon.  The weight of the Waterboxer totally = overwhelms them. Did lots of other experiments too.  Had great handling that = rode like a skateboard, then had a front end that porpoised so hard the = wheels came off the ground.  A Vanagon sure is not like other cars.  = Finally have gotten a good, tight ride and great handling.  Still have = stock 14" alloys and "K-Mart" tires.  Trying to figure out what to do with = this, although I do like the stock look.  Headlights are euro square H4's = and H1's with xenon white bulbs (I can see!  I can see!)  Fogs = mounted upright on the bumper are Hella Rallye 1000's.

This Vanagon has become a blast to drive.  My = kids love the attention from their friends about our "ccol van". My other car is a = modified and very quick '92 16V Jetta.  It hasn't left the driveway = in 3 months!

Vanagons sure are versatile.  They can be a = house on wheels, or a "sportsbox"!!

Gary