A long time ago I picked up the URL for B.A.S. = Ahnendorp in Germany from the list http://www.ahnendorp.com/.  = Under "VW Van" they show a good looking stainless header for the waterboxer.  = Looks to be proper equal length primaries with a collector in the center rear = of the vehicle as is done on air-cooled headers.  Anyone ever try one of these?  Since the catalyst is no longer in the original position, I = think the header would be technically illegal in the US, but that does not = concern me.
By the way, check out the downdraft webers for the = wbx on the same page.  (not that I would ever want to part with my digifant!)

Gary