Our Fellow list member from Savannah's = post about being ripped off for nearly 3 grand while trying to get from Savannah to = Orlando a journey of 300 odd miles.. If it costs a 100 a mile to own a Westy = they are too expensive ... we know with a little luck and the grace of the = greater we can do it cheaper than that and keep on trucking...

I am trying to increase the odds of = getting a fair shake for on the road mechanical repairs... I am not totally helpless = and have owned my 85 Westy since its birth in Germany... I picked it up in = Manheim and have been driving it ever since... I have also put much more money into = repairs to the Westfalia than it cost new.... big learning curve.. it got better = after ten years of getting slaughtered by smiley faced mechanical burglars .. = it is still not a sure thing... I have gotten better but the burglars that = still occasionally get me are very very good at their nefarious trade...

I am attempting to create a list of = recommended VW mechanics from coast ... I am using the recommendations of known = mechanics for other mechanics ... one they would send their mothers to.. and = recommendations from VW owners who have had positive experiences ... the longer the = experience with the mechanic the better... Of you break down in Florid or Vermont = where I have been known to hangout and email me I can give you a list of burn = proof mechanics ... There are not enough yet to get free of big towing = bills... I would like to change that...

My intention is to get recommendations = from everyone generous enough to make them and post them in the Mechanics = forum on Westfalia.org... I will eventually fact check every recommendation in = the interest of avoiding 4000 degree email... but the forum is now in = progress and being to... I moderate that forum and if you have a bitch it is my = fault... My email is linked to the forum...

If any of you feel that this is a useful = enterprise and have recommendations that you swear by and not at... = please advise

Regards,

Jonc