When doing my head = gaskets I snapped off two bolts, both flush with the head. A local machine shop = removed both cleanly for $20. Pretty much any machine shop in your phone book = should be able to do the same.

-----Original Message-----
From: Vanagon Mailing = List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com]On Behalf Of Chris Stann
Sent: Saturday, June 24, 2000 11:27 AM
To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM
Subject: Sheared alternator bolt

OK, I finally got the waterpump on.

Now, when I was first removing the alternator the = bolt that keeps tension on the belt sheared.  YIKES!  Now I have a = good alternator with a plugged hole.  There's not enough thread on the = reverse side to attempt to drive in a bolt and drive the broken one out.  = Also, there's not enough of broken bolt sticking out to attempt to grasp it = with vice grips.

OH HELP ME PLEASE!  I do not want to buy = another alternator ($$$)

What's the best way to get the sheared bolt = out?

Thanks.

Chris.