Isn't it a 46 mm axle = tool?

Jeanne

----- Original Message -----
From: Daniel = Schmitz
To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM
Sent: Thursday, July 20, 2000 = 3:04 PM
Subject: Re: Huge Nut on Rear = Drum

42mm, I think. Type 1 VW's (bugs) used a 36mm nut, Type = IIs and Vanagons use a 42mm version of same.

Actually, you may not be able to get it off with just a socket and = ratchet. It's supposed to be on with a couple hundred ft/lbs of torque. Unless = you have a large breaker bar and can exert sufficient leverage, you may need to = get the special tool that is designed to loosen these. This is a special = flattened, 1/2" drive steel socket having an extension with two flat sides on it = designed for hammering on. You place it over the axle nut, place a ratchet or = breaker bar in the 1/2" drive, and while pressing down on the ratchet you simultaneously hammer on the flat side to break the nut free. I = believe these are simply called axle nut removers, and any VW parts place or large = FLAPS should carry them. All Type IIs and Vanagons use an axle nut to retain = the hub, so you should be able to find one.

Not sure, though, why the hub has to be loosed to get the drum off. = Even if you have grooves worn in your drum, backing off the brake shoes, using = a rust dissolver and tapping the drum with a mallet should loosen it.

Dan

Gary Stearns wrote:

I will very soon need to replace rear brake on our = '88 GL.   A few days ago I checked the Bentley, took a rear = wheel off to consider how big a job this was going to be.  Bentley says = the rear hub castellated nut has to come off to get the drum off.  Seems = unecessary, but also seems no way to get a drum puller around the = edges of the drum.  OK, what size socket do I need.  Geeeez, this = thing measures 45mm!  (clatter of sockets being pushed around in the = toolbox) I don't see one of those in here!  My largest socket is = 24mm.  Went to 2 FLAPS (Hey Tony! You ever see a 45mm socket?) and a = Sears.  FLAPS can order it for me from a specialty tool company for = $55.  No, I'll check with The List first.   Do I need this blammit thing?  Can one be had cheaper? Thanks - Gary

--
Dan

"I'll so offend to make offense a skill
Redeeming time when men = least think I will"

W. Shakespeare
Henry IV, Part 1