Hi,
I think I started this latest = conversion thread and am sorry to those who are bored with it.  However, I still need = a new engine for my 1984 Westy.
I sold my 1980 Westy which was = running great but the lack of power and heat at 10,000 feet in Colorado was definitely a = drawback. And it was a big step up from my old 1969 Westy. Then I found a clean = 1984 Westy in great shape except for a tired engine (135k with oil pressure = problems that 20-50 oil and a VW filter will not fix).
So since I have to do something = about the engine in the thing, I think I should look at my options. Stock sounds easiest = and initially less expensive, but again there is the power and reliability factors.  I can deal with the lack of power, but to have to deal = with the head gasket problems and other inherent problems with the engine is what = is causing me to hesitate to go this route. Or can the 1.9 WBX be built to = be reliable with proper maintenance? Having seen and driven a Subaru Legacy = 2.2 conversion, I was quite impressed with the fit of the engine, the power, = the smoothness, and the quiet of the conversion. Reliability sounds to be = great as well.  Again, the low oil pan seems to be my biggest worry.  = The TIICO S.A. conversion sounds like a clean fit and the many new parts sound = appealing, but having not seen or driven one in person and the price seems to be = the biggest drawbacks to me.  Are they smooth and quiet, or is the = inline 4 a little rough?  And how is the reliability and availability of parts = for it?  I am not too worried about mechanics refusing to work on a = conversion, as I have done all my own work in the past.
So I guess = what I am getting at is, has anyone out there dealt with both conversions and does one = stick out as better than the other? Or, as I am open minded, has anyone done = either conversion and wish they had kept it stock?  And can a stock 1.9 WBX
be made reliable with proper = maintenance?
So many options!

John Andrew 1984 Westy (schmooo)