I need to change the oil in my van and = the PO said he always used 10w50 Mobil-1 in it. When I went to AutoZone, I got a = case of oil and the filter the salesman said I needed a Mobil-1 oil filter. Is = this right? I have seen a couple of different postings to the list saying not = to use any FRAM filters, btu what about the MOBIL-1 filter? Also, what is the recommended oil filter for the '84 Wolfsburg Weekender with 1.9L = wasserboxer? I've heard about Mahle on the list is there any others and where are = they available?

Should I flush the engine, as some have = suggested to try to rid it of gunk or would it be better to just change the oil = for now and see how things go? I have always changed my oil every 3,000 miles or = so and never had any problems with previous VWs, but this vanagon is new to me = and I couldn't get a service history on the Wolfy before I purchased it. I am = thinking about changing the oil and oil filter and running it about 1,000 miles = and then check the oil viscosity and clarity. If it looks dirty, then I = would change it again and maybe flush the system at that time. Any advice from fellow = listees?

TIA
Rodney Kindlund
Asheville, NC
'84 Wolfy = Weekender