Amtrak is usually the cheapest way to go.  Must = drop off and pick up at an Amtrak station.  They don't like to = ship motor blocks.  It's best to drain all fluids from the engine = and pack it up so it can't be seen from the outside.  Just declare = it as "used car parts".  If they get nosy tell them that = you're shipping axles, wheels, transmissions or other heavy = stuff.

Good luck,
Peter

-----Original Message-----
From: Ken Hunter [mailto:EVEHART33@aol.com]
Sent: Sunday, August 20, 2000 3:40 PM
To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM
Subject: Advice on shipping a motor?

I need to ship a diesel longblock to San Diego from = Albuquerque. It has the
head off but it's still one heavy hunk of iron. I = would appreciate any advice
from those that done this before. Seems I read about = some different solutions
in the archives but they aren't coming up for me = now.

Ken Hunter
82 Westy 1.9D
84 Jetta 1.5D
89 Mitsubishi van