Hi,

I also have an 84 Westy 1.9 = digijet that was dumping fuel... 33L/100km, black clouds for
the people behind me. = I did all the bently ignition, fuel, air, temp and ecu
tests, all up to = specs. Changed the ox sensor and saw some improvement,
about 15 L/100 km, = but when I changed the muffler only a few 1000 kms later
and changed the ox = sensor to the new piece,  the symptoms reappeared...  so
I just = simply disconnected it it and the van ran ok, not great, but at least
I = wasn't leaving a trail of black soot behind me.

Over winter I came to = consider tires, I noticed the PO had gone to a local
FLAPS and got shafted = with P185/70/14 single side wall, much too small about
10% less in = circumference) , much too flimsy, simply dangerous.  After
taking a few long = drives this summer, I changed the tires to Michelin LT
195/75/14 (within 2% = of the stock 185/82/14) , hooked up the ox sensor and
the Vgon is running = great, never better (about 12.5L/100km)

My theory, I contaminated the = new sensor with the grease which eventually
burnt off and / or the undersized = tires were throwing the ecu off to such an
extent that it was sending way too = much gas.

Now, about your timming, that will defenitively throw gas = millage off and
you will notice loss of power, but will it make an engine run = rich??? that's
beyond my expertise.  But if you have recently put in a = new Cap, rotor, plugs, etc., I would ajust the timing, because I noticed = differences in widths in various manufacturers rotors' contacts, which would set the = timing off by a few degrees.

Hope this helps

JGS