David Marshall wrote:
I've been going all through the parts stores here in town asking for = GL-4
transmission fluid for my 88 Syncro.

David,
I went through this a couple months ago = when I was filling my newly rebuilt AAN syncro box. I posted the same question to both lists.

Someone wrote an article about oil and = it is published on either vanagon.com or syncro.org. which suggests = GL4 is needed.  It appears the info was culled from a source at redline.

In the end I could find no one who = could confirm that GL4 is required/desired.
The owners manual saysGL4, but in those = days GL5 did not exist.
Daryl, AA transaxle and Chris weedle = both do not use GL4 (from what I recall).
I think GL4 may affect the syncro rings = in the long long term, couple hundred thousand kilometers.

I began to realize that this belief in = the need for gl4 may be based on one persons opinion.  Many people = have read this persons opinion and it has spread = around.

I bought a 20 liter pail of wal mart = synthetic on clearance for $29.00 and used that.  I would have also used redline.

Gary Lee