From: Lawrence Johnson
To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM
Sent: Tuesday, August 29, 2000 = 6:05 PM
Subject: Re: Rust protection - = Oiling - caution

Jean-Guy.
Rust Check also softens rubber (but they = deny it). I don't know about Krown.
I have used chain saw oil (winter = weight) mixed with kerosene (to thin it) but have not found any anti-rust = additive (yet). I'm planning on buying a 4L bottle from Krown for this winters application.
-Larry (Ontario, Canada)

Jean-Guy Savoie wrote:

A number = of references on the net speak of using MOTOR OIL for rust proofing. = DON'T DO IT.  Aside from the stink, it will rot rubber (hoses, = insulating pads, grommets, Door seals etc...) and some = plastics. The conventional wisdom, here, is that = transmission oil will not rot the rubber, but there is some smell and I suspect = that the transmission oil might melt or disolve the OEM wax because it is so "detergent", but I don't know this for = sure. Does anyone know any more about the subject?