Hello,

I have = a 90 Vanagon. Which had the ABD coded tranny which has 6/29 ring and pinion. The = original one broke its main input shaft, so then we had that rebuilt, then the = rebuild lasted about 25,000 miles before the ring and pinion on it blew up. I've done = some mods to my motor so it makes more torque, and I drive pretty hard. The 2nd = rebuild we got is from a 84 Vanagon, DU coded one. This has a 7/34 ring and pinion = and it has 3rd and 4th gears with more TPI (teeth per inch). The guy at the = shop which we rebuilt it said that this is the strongest wbx tranny that VW made, = and I believe him. This is a smooth tranny. the 7/34 gears are a lot quieter = and smoother. He also said that these gears cost a lot more than the 6/29 = gears, $450 vs. $700+. I shall see how long this one lasts, so far it is = working great. The 7/34 is a 4.86 which lowers my top speed, and 3rd gear is a 1.26 vs = a 1.22, so it accelerates a bit faster. I just wanted to ask the list members = who also have the DU coded manual tranny about their experience, and also the = tranny people if this is the truth that the DU coded tranny is the strongest 4spd.

Thanks!

Joe