I have seen kits to convert Japanese and other = high volume cars from "vane type" air flow sensors as in the Vanagon, to = heated wire mass air flow sensors.  The benefit is that you are changing from a = sensor that requires air to move a spring loaded obstruction to a sensor that = has no obstruction other than a little wire suspended in the air flow.  = Apparently some pretty significant power increases are to be had.
Anyone ever try this on the WBX?  Anyone know = if the output signals of the two are similar?  Could this be a splice-in, = or do the two speak in different languages making it impossible.  I = know anything is possible for a price, or the old racer's maxim "Speed costs = money. How fast do you want to go?"

Gary