From: 1980 VW = Westfalia "Pokey"
To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM
Sent: Monday, August 28, 2000 = 3:52 PM
Subject: Clutch Problems / = Brake Fluid Replacement

Most people who responded to my = clutch problem post thought it was low or dirty brake fluid. Its funny because after = looking at my Bentley the level was the first thing I checked, I must actually = be catching on or something.

The level was about half way between = Max and Min so I think its OK, but the fluid itself seemed pretty dirty. Moreover = I was hit with an additional "symptom". I was driving along and the vehicle hesitated or lurched. It was open road and not necessarily = accelerating, nor was I touching the clutch at all. It didn't feel like slipping = like clutch problems I've had in other vehicles where the revs climb and = the vehicle doesn't accelerate. Is it possible that the brakes came on momentarily, because that is what it felt like...

Next question, I want to replace the = fluid in my brakes myself and I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendation on a = good brake bleeding tool to buy? Plus, I'm not really happy with Bentley's instructions has anyone seen a better description of how-to-bleed-brakes-for-the-complete-idiot? Also, I heard you really = have to watch out for the bleeder screws as they can break... any thoughts?

Thanks,
Chris Gronski
Toronto, Ontario,
'80 Westy "Pokey"