Kate,

Sounds like Stella lost her catalytic = converter.  That's the piece located on the driver side of the = muffler.  There might be more damage than just the cat if it just = fell off.  It would probably be best to go to a muffler shop to = have them take a look.  The cat is a standard item that should be = available at most places for $100.

Good luck,
Peter