The main thing to do, when protecting against = a cold-cold nonstart, is to use an electric battery blanket.

Your battery will potentially lose 90% of it's = stored starting power if you don't keep it warm.

You oil could be as thin as, well, ...oil, but if your = starter can't roll the cold, tight engine - you will be calling for a boost = truck to come and boost your battery.

Interesting, isn't it -  you don't call for a "block heater = truck", or a "tank heater truck" when your car doesn't start - you call = to get your battery boosted, so you can start the engine.

Marshall = Ruskin

84 = Westy, Winnipeg Canada (home of -40 winters)

In  30 years of Alaska living never did I = put chains on any of my vehicles. Only once did I ever put studded tires = on my vehicle. And  only once did I ever own a 4 wheel drive = vehicle......and it was a Jeep Wagoneer LTD. And even then I wouldn't have except I = needed it on a job I had at a remote location for about a year. Once the job = was finished, I didn't really need it then. Once I was back on the main = highway system in Alaska I could have sold it but didn't. Didn't really need = it's 4-wheel abilities nor the cost of 4-wheel drive maintenance. But = I just drove it to rust --er, dust. When it died, I bought my 85GL = Vanagon. The first winter with it I discovered I had to have studded tires on = the thing in winter. On the day of the first ice-over I was going up a = slight grade, and the rear broke free and spun me out in the middle of the = highway while on my  way to Anchorage. My '68 Bus never did that.  = Gave no warning, Really caught me by surprise. Turned around and went = straight to the local Goodyear store. Bought a set of studded all-weather = radials, never had a problem after that. As soon as roads cleared in spring, off = they came and the regular tires were put back on. The method worked for me.

Oil pan heaters, block heaters or tank heaters = were a must. Some people used battery warmers as well. I never did but the = life of the battery would probably have been increased had I done so. =

Starter on the 85GL protested every time I = started it up in winter. Loud squeal. Even with all the preheating. I guess it = just never got enough heat, sticking out in the cold underneath. After the = engine was thoroughly warmed, I could shut down and re-start and it was fine. = But after shutting down and getting cold-soaked overnight, it would protest. = Never had any serious winter cold related problems. Heaters workd really well, = and if the rear one was not blocked by feet or a box on the floor or = whatever, it really would put out the heat and made the real difference in the = comfort level on really cold days.

John Rodgers
88GL Driver

Brad Spear wrote:

I never had a tank = heater in my '87 Syncro in the four years that I had it
and never had any = trouble starting except when it got down to-35.  It still =
started but didn't want to.  You will need to run a 3w-30 in the = winter.
Just about anything else is like molasses and 20w-50 is like = paste.

The last couple of winters have been = pretty mild, only two or so days where
the high was below zero here in = the Twin Cities metro area.

Saint Cloud has a VW dealership, we had a = swap meet up there a few months
ago.  Jerry Coffin, JAC Auto = Repair, Ramsey, MN, is a good one to go to,
He's not that far from = Saint Cloud.

Let me know if you need any more info. =

Brad Spear
'72 Westy
Burnsville, = Minnesota

In a message dated 9/16/00 7:12:42 PM = Pacific Daylight Time,