Mick Kalber wrote:
>VW Vanagon engineers haven't a clue what real winter is like.<

Interesting... they have pretty cold winters in Germany, don't they?

Yes, they have cold winters but not like ours. Their cold is a nasskalt, a wet cold, from the Atlantic. I have always found that German vehicles love our cool spring and fall best and are not as well suited to the real heat of a midwest summer or the real cold of an Ontario winter. The German engineers designed the Vanagon well for the climate they knew.

The best winter vehicle that I have owned is a Saab (pre GM). The pedal spacing is large enough for winter boots; the windshield defroster blasts on both front and back windows; the front wheel drive (they were almost the first) gave good snow traction; the seats had heater elements; 15" tires (big for the day); the seats gave lots of room for bulky winter clothing.

I sold my Saab to buy our Syncro Westfalia (sold my Subaru to buy our Syncro Doublecab).

-Larry