My Vanagon was a recent gift but it endured a front-end = collision and some shoddy body shop work before I owned it - one result of which is = some missing components on the outside and inside of the dash.  With the = Bentley manual and some helpful info from various websites and this mailing list = I've managed to figure out a good bit of what goes where.  However, I = wonder if any of you wise owners can tell me:

(1) How the warm air (front heater) blower fan control switch attaches?  If it is like the auxilliary heater fan switch, (which = survived the accident intact), I'm guessing it attaches with 4 corner = plastic tabs to the back of the heater slide control face plate, fitting into = the cutout hole in the dash beneath the face plate.  Is that correct?  Or = is it attached only to the hole in the dash (the cutout in the dash is a bit = bent and I don't know if it is in the original shape or size)?

(2) None of my dash control lights survived - only a few hanging = wires (it appears from Bentley, blue/white for (+) power supply and brown for = (-).  But I have no idea where and how the lights attach.  How many are = there, where do they go, and how do they attach?

I managed to straighten out the heater control (4 sliders) which = was badly bent, and it actually works!  Amazingly, the heater itself also = works, though one would think it sits in a vulnerable position for a front-end wreck.  But these various electrical dash gizmos don't seem to = appear with much pictured detail anywhere I have yet looked.

Thanks in advance for your kind help!

Jim Creech
87 Vanagon GL Westfalia