4. The official factory test is well documented in the archives, = but basically, the test is to ....

Derek,,,, I think you will remember from the = discussions that your description below is NOT the official factory test... It is = my understanding the official factory test is done on a dynometer or = some such machine that put the rear wheels on rollers. I do agree that the following test is usefull... but it is not the last word  or the 'official factory test' ... it is a simulation of the factory test = that was develoved by those on the list... how accurate it is no one knows...

Bill

put a two by four in front of the front wheels (the factory = leaves out the two by four but in testing list members have found that even the = factory VCs are stiff enough to require the 2x4 to hold the vehicle back) and = then jack the rear of the vehicle up in the air with a rolling jack under = the car and then very slowly and carefully let the clutch out in first or low = gear. After a couple of tries you will find that you can let the clutch out = with the engine running and the VC will allow enough slop to let the wheels = stay still at one end of the vehicle without climbing over the two by four while = the engine turns the wheels at the other end of the vehicle. If you cannot = pass this test, then you should consider buying a viscous coupling = immediately in order to avoid rapidly destroying your transmission.

More Background Stuff on VCs:

http://www.vanagon.com/syncros/technica/vc-expert-inte= rview/index.html

http://gerry.vanagon.com/cgi-bin/wa.exe?S1=vanagon

and search on these parameters:

Search For > = viscous
The author's address is or contains > drew@interport.net
Since > 1999

There is an excellent article by Steve on how to replace = the VC at:

http://www.concentric.net/~Sxs/Links.shtml and click on Replacing the VC = (photos)

For that matter, visit Steve's entire site at www.syncro.org.
  =
Later this week I will try to email a notice about a breakthrough in getting = half-price factory wheelwell flares direct from Germany.
Derek = Drew           &nb= sp;           &nbs= p;      New York, NY & Washington, = DC
derekdrew@rcn.com       <= /X-TAB>           =
'90 Syncro Westfalia...
...seen off-road at http://www.tiu.net/~des/vw/drew/index.html

=         Also seen at: =
           &nb= sp;         http://4wd.sofcom.com/VW/snow.html
  =             &= nbsp;      http://4wd.sofcom.com/VW/Campers/Campers.html
&= nbsp;       Note: most valuable Vanagon sites on the planet (for owners) = are:
           = ;         http://gerry.vanagon.com/cgi-bin/wa.exe?S1=vanagon
           &= nbsp;
ftp://gerry.vanagon.com/pub/
   =      To sign up for the Vanagon mailing list send email to listserv@gerry.vanagon.com
 =          &nbs= p;     with the body text SUBSCRIBE VANAGON Firstname Lastname
        To sign up for the = Syncro mailing list go to =

http://www.egroups.com/group/Syncro