From: Frank Assinck
To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM =
Sent: Saturday, October 14, = 2000 10:24 PM
Subject: Ignition = problem?

L.S.

Our Vanagon GL Camper from 86 is = giving us some serious troubles lately. I'm not very technical and English is not my motherlanguage so I will try to explain what's happening. When the Van = is running, the rpm gauge is flipping up and down while the car starts to = shock. So it looks to me that the ignition is cut off = randomly. This problem comes and goes but when it acts up its no fun to drive in = the car. The problem does not act up when the car is idle-ing, which makes = it very hard to track down the problem in a garage. It's not the = coil and not the distributor because they were exchanged and the problem = still acted up. The mechanics couldn't find anything and only cleaned the = whole circuit/connections. Since then the Van ran fine for a 1000 mile but = today the problem was back. From two different sides I heard that this problem = has to do with the grounding of the electrical circuit and that other = electrical device ( like power windows or maybe the fridge) can disturb the = ignition circuit.

Is there somebody who recognizes this = problem and has an idea about the cause and how to solve it?? We really like our = Van and we want to keep it on the road for another 1.5 year to see something = of the States, but at the moment we feel like riding a time = bomb.

With kind regards,

Frank Assinck
Jacksonville, Florida