I know we've all read a few dozen reports about = burning Westy's and the propensity of the engine compartment to = instantaneously combust.

I noticed over the last week a weak smell of Fuel and = chalked it up to overspill while gassing up or just my own = paranoia.  This Saturday I was poking around my Alternator belt = and contemplating a replacement when again I smelled the distinctive = odor.  I poked, prodded, checked and even ran the van with the = cover open to identify any leaks-- none found. The fuel lines looked = good, no cracks, burning, or even abraision marks.

Then finally I poked an prodded the fuel regulator = ('89 Digifant) and viola-- I notice the fitting turning moist and yes = it's fuel.

Since I'm here-- I decide to replace every rubber = portion of the fuel system, I figure it can't hurt.

To my disgust and surprise every single hose I = replaced (all 6 of the fuel injection lines inside the engine = compartment and both the return line to the tank and the feed line = including the pump and filter components)showed major signs of = deterioration from the inside of the hose out.  Each end was = brittle (no doubt from heat), and several were severely cracked, but = not quite through.

Needless to say I was "weeping" fuel from = no doubt more than one location within the system.

Long story a little shorter-- don't take your fuel = system for granted.  Even with a newly refurbished engine by a = very good mechanic, and what I expected would be a "new" van = upon my recent purchase-- If you have yet to personally inspect your = fuel system, you or your mechanic needs to.

Nothing we haven't heard or read before-- but I must = admit to being a bit surprised by a known problem and one I had = supposedly been keeping a close look out for.