I recently replaced the plastic steering column = cover.  Unlike the original, the upper half of the new piece has a molded cutout = with a small (1/2 x 2"?) hole.  Anyone know what is intended to go = there?  Looks almost like a gear shift indicator window, but I don't know if any = of the Vanagons had column-mounted automatics.  Anyone have a creative = idea what I could put in the hole?  Seems to small for any kind of gauge; I = already have a digital clock (nearly same size) on the instrument cluster.  = I can always cut out a blank piece of plastic and glue it over the = hole.

Jim Creech
87 Westy manual