Well, it was a whirlwind trip.
We saw rain in the desert, snow in the mountains and had the wind at our ba= ck.
My son, Tyler, and I flew into Phoenix on Halloween and were met by the sel= ler/PO, Dave. A quick trip to Dave's, followed by a buzz around Chandler, AZ= revealed the Westy to be exactly the vehicle as advertised and wanted (see:= http://www.geocities.com/d13nadeau/vanagon.html). The interior was near per= fect and the exterior was prototypically Arizona rust free (well, almost). T= he engine exhibited a significant valve lifter clatter for the first several= miles....I could see Dave's heart in his throat..."It's never done thi= s before"..."Don't worry, it'll stop. Mine does it once in a while= . It'll stop."...It stopped after about three miles. Perhaps the clatte= r was because Dave had changed the oil to 20-50W trying to correct a drop in= oil pressure.

We set out on the freeway (I-10). The van ran great, the lifter noise was g= one, it shifted smoothly,... until a desert rock hauler blew by us at a gazi= llion miles an hour, bouncing a fist sized red rock right at the van. The hi= t was stupifying. Luckily, the rock hit the metal above the driver's side ra= diator grill and not the windshield. I turned to Dave and asked him why he h= adn't told me  about the big dent in the front of the van...his heart p= oked through his shirt collar again.  Later inspection revealed only a = smallish (5mmx5mm) chip in the paint...tough metal in these VWs. We closed t= he deal after a great lunch at a Chinese strip mall place (rated by Tyler as= very low on the Schmatlz scale ((no Christmas light strings and  semi-= precious art in lighted, semi-tasteful display cases)) but the food was grea= t). Dave was apologetic about the previously unmentioned cracks in the winds= hield and I thought he was about to suggest I pay less than the agreed upon = figure because of them; but, I couldn't in good conscientiousness allow him = to do that, so I cut him off saying "a deal is a deal" and I dutif= ully paid him under half of what the van would be worth back in Ohio.

That evening we met with listee Karl Woltz and his wife, Stephanie, for a m= eal at a great Mexican restaurant. Karl was instrumental in my trip to AZ in= that without his initial inspection I would never have had the courage to m= ake the trip based on just some internet pictures. The meal was great but th= e company was better. We continued the evening with inspections of our Westi= es (his '85 is amazing at +375Kmiles...no engine conversions for us!).  = ;Thanks again, Karl.

The trip through Sedona, Flagstaff, the Grand Canyon and on to Albequerque,= Santa Fe, Taos and Pueblo, CO  was a South West vista for our minds an= d eyes.  The 26 hour trip home from Pueblo followed Rte. 50 to Kansas C= ity, KS and on to St Louis via I-70 and then I-64 to Cincy and home on I-71 = and Rte 35. Total miles = 2,333.3 .

SIGHTINGS: We saw eight Westies in Sedona (most were later models), one in = Oak Creek Canyon, one enroute to Grand Canyon,two Westy EVs in Santa Fe,one = loaf Westy in Rio Grand Gorge; at the top of the gorge we saw an 88-89 red S= yncro and in Taos a "panel" Syncro painted desert cream/ochre with= ladder and rack on the back and two butter colored Westies...one +/- '87 an= d one early loaf.

The '84 performed flawlessly on the entire trip. I didn't have to touch the= tool box. And the dehydrated bananas were eaten, not used. We averag= ed 18 mpg, used no oil and cruised at 65- 70 mph on the flat highways. The'8= 4 is not the hill climber that the '91 is; but, given its age and camper wei= ght, I was very pleased with its performance. We camped two of the four nigh= ts...but found the high desert a little colder than anticipated. Never-the-l= ess, we enjoyed the trip and the thought that many of you had offered potent= ial help was comforting.

Because of this list I am now the proud owner of the ultimate get aw= ay vehicle.
--
Stephen Steele
'91 Caravelle