Probably the most uninspiring question of the week from a fairly = new owner, but should the clearance for the spare tire storage underneath in the = front be so tight as to make closing it up very difficult?  Mine is, and I = am concerned I may be partially pinching closed my radiator hoses.  = While closing it meets resistance with still about 2 inches to go.  I can = push it on up and latch it but only with great difficulty.  Have tried = flipping the spare, but no difference.  The spare is 185 R 14 which came on the vehicle.

Also, most of my cooling system hoses are probably 13 years = old.  A mechanic has replaced 5 or 6 but others look pretty bad, especially = upper and lower radiator and the ones to the front heater.  I've studied the = diagrams in Bentley, Vanagon.com, Bus Depot, and Vanagain, but can't find those = latter ones.  All I can find is what looks like ones to REAR heater = core.  Finally, are the long hoses front to back that connect to the radiator = hoses plastic and likely to need replacement?  I'm finding some moisture = on what appears to be a thick insulating coating of some type, but not enough to = id it as green coolant.

Thanks,
Jim Creech
87 Westy GL