List, I searched the archives and = found others in my shoes but didn'tfind a solution. Here goes:
'84 1.9 runs fantastic = usually.  Occasionally she spazzes while cruising and won't accel even when the = pedal is floored.  Stop and idle and it is rough, rough!  Also, there = is poor pedal response from a stop-again an accel problem. Does this for miles = and miles with mpg suffering.  However, if I shut her off for even an = instance, power is back and she purrs like a fat cat.
My problem seems similar to others = in the archives, except it doesn't stall out, it is not hot/cold/wet dependent, = it is not altitude dependent.
Surely someone on the list has put = their finger on this seemingly common set of symptoms. Toss me a bone please. =
Jay, I own that (1) vanagon in Indiana

For you thinkers wanting extra credit:
More info, cause info is good:  =
1984 wolfsburg westy, equals power = steering, A/C,autotrans
Stock
Last year she got a new exhaust and = o2 sensor, mo cat, plugs, rotor, cap, air filter, fuel filter , phos-phree coolant, = one new head, new belts, battery, cleaned injecters, yadda yadda...
Speedo says 138K
This may grab you->  I = recently noticed the green wire to the o2 sens had fallen onto the exhaust and burned the = insulation in one spot,  I elec taped it to reinsulate--heavily so = it would serve as a grommet into the cooling tin above to prevent this from reoccurring.   I think the prob existed before she burned , = and does exist aft the fix.
I did not spring for plug wires yet, = but feel this is not likely causing the sx.
Thanks for loaning me your knoggin!
Jay