After 260,000 miles and 3 engines my = 90 GL tranny's pinion bearing began to make a noise, I took it to a reputable = VW mechanic and he said that the noise is so slight that I should not worry = about.  Then the next day a friend of my wife's offered to sell her = a 88 GL in virtual mint condition (all records and log book of all gas = fill-ups and MPG's). The 88 has a slight leak on the right head gasket and I = have a new engine and clutch in my 90 (16,000 miles on it).  My plan is to = swap engines and clutches and sell the 90 to break-even.  I reviewed Bentley's and it looks fairly straight forward job.

Are there any "tips" or "cautions" = that could help or that I should know about?

ThanQ
Jere
Bellingham, = WA