The main door locks are very easy to = access.  Simply remove the door handle by peeling back the weatherstrip next to = the lock and remove the single large phillips screw.  Work the handle out of = the door.  To remove the lock, you must drive out a small roll pin that = attaches the tailpiece of the lock to the lock plug.  It will not = be apparent without cleaning the lock.  Be aware that the outer half = of the lock is integrated into the handle and cannot be replaced.  Only = the plug is a replacement item.  Very seldom have I seen one go bad.  = The only defective ones I have ever run across were so totally corroded that the = handle was also unusable.  I generally am able to replace springs or = wafers and rekey and repair as necessary at a much lower cost than replacing the plug.  Please feel free to contact me for any of your VW lock or = key questions.
Steve Sandlin
http://www.steveslockshop.com<= /FONT>
'84 Wolfsburg Westy
'79 Transporter