James,

    I know you said = various temperatures but have you checked temp two sensor when it's stone = cold? Also is it possible the ECU  can't compensate enough for when the = engine is cold? I don't know how these work but my 84 with missing ECU has = symptoms just like yours when it's cold.

Joe

----- Original Message -----
From: James Creech
To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM
Sent: Wednesday, November 22, = 2000 12:59 PM
Subject: cold run = problems

OK, a Th'giving mystery for you sharp vanagon = sleuths to discern, while I remind myself I really am thankful for my = vanagon!  Here are the facts, as I know them:
I don't see any compelling reason to suspect the = idle control unit or ECU, especially since idle and normal run is good once = warm.  It is only a cold start and cold run problem.  What = else could it be?  Could one or more of the components I've = tested still be bad in spite of passing the tests?  e.g., temp 2 sensor would = seem a likely culprit (as some of you have suggested), but could it be bad if = it gives good resistance readings at various coolant (engine) = temperatures?  I would think not.  Hope it's not something more exotic.  I = have NOT done any CO tests (not having the equipment) or output voltage readings.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated (and = make my Thanksgiving more thankful!).

Jim Creech
87 Westy GL 2.1
79k miles, 2nd owner