Tough on a cold engine, hard on the clutch, increases gas consumption, and is just a thorn in the side purely because it's a machine that is not running like it'supposed to, which is for the serious (make that anal) owner or mechanic  , pure anathema.

Mines doing the same thing, so I'm going to work on it this weekend.

John Rodgers
88 GL Driver

Vicki Derrer wrote:

Hi all you gurus,
    What would be the cause of a consistent, unwavering idle of 1900 rpm on
a manual transmission 85 Westy with 130K miles and a rebuilt engine?  In
discussing this with my mechanic prior to taking it in next week, he says it
"could be" one of two parts, each costing about $150 without labor, and
possibly both of them.  And, how bad is it to have such a high idle, anyway?
What damage does it cause?
    TIA, Vicki