I have recently acquired a 1985 Vanagon = GL. After having replaced a large list of parts I have one last thing (I hope) = that I'm concerned about. While running there is knocking noise in the = engine. I was told that it may be a problem with one of the lifters. If this is the = case (which I don't know for sure) how big of a job is it to replace the = lifter at fault???
The van has not been running in 3 = months due to a busted clutch. Once I got that replaced and back together I noticed = a crack in the engine coolant overflow bottle. So I'm not able to run the engine = for too long until the overflow bottle is replaced (tomorrow). Any = ideas  that the lifter is possibly screwed??? Are there some other things I = should do once I get the leak fixed and engine going???  Is this common with = the Vanagons???
thanks,
Chad