Hi Dave,
     All dash = heater control levers in our vans are set up such that they allow flow if they = are on. If off they prevent flow. There is always positive pressure against the = various flaps or coolant valve.  If the front heater hoses are not = hot you can   remove the spare tire and  operate the heater coolant = control valve manually and leave it on until you get a control cable or = summer. You can also operate  the heater air flap directly from the = glove box side of the dash. You may be able to force the heater flap open by = going up from the bottom heat vents. You will get heat if you are moving = even without a blower.  Hope you get heat soon winter is here. =

Darrell

----- Original Message -----
From: Dave Baker
To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM =
Sent: Wednesday, December 06, = 2000 1:07 PM
Subject: Re: Front Heater = Motor

Your heater message prompts me to send out my own = query to the membership.  The heater/vent controls on my 85 Westy are = totally inoperable.  That is, the levers move, but nothing happens in the = way of air flow.  It looks and feels like the cables are connected to = the baffles, but we're talking "nada" in the way of heat here, gang.  = Moreover, the switch that controls the fan motor is totally = missing.  Now, my question is this:  Will I really have to dismount the = entire dash assembly to get in there and fix it?  If so, does this really = entail pulling the steering column?

Thanks for your advice.

Dave Baker
85 Westy "Wolfgang"
http://members.fortune= city.com/davebaker1