I have a pair of 4" = and 6" round speakers. My door panels don't have speaker
holes drilled yet. I'm = seeking the advice of those who have gone before:
should I use the stock = location or someplace else on the panel? Would the
6"ers fit the stock = location?
BTW thanks for all the advice on the extenders. =

Ken,
In my 90 Westy = Syncro, I enlarged the stock holes and insalled 5" speakers. They fit and they should A = LOT better than the 4" speakers.... even with high quality after market 4" = speakers you won't get much base at all.
The 5 and 6" speaker are not much = different in size so I would think the 6" ones would fit... as long as you check = some of the following items:

Here are some of the = things you need to consider when installing speakers:
1.    = The stock location in my 90 puts the speaker about 1/3 to 1/2 behind the side of = the dash when the door is closed... this means the speaker you choose must = not rise so far off the door pannel that it crunches against the dash when = the door closes.... other locations would not block so much of the sound....

2.    = Stock speaker installation on my 90 has a 'pocket' in the plastic vapor = barrier located between the door pannel and the metal door... the purpose is = to keep water off of the back of the speaker... water will drip throug a drain = hole in the wing window seal which is above the speaker... you should protect = the back side of the speaker from water.... and make sure the screws that mount = the speaker don't penetrate the plastic vapor barrier.

3.    = Speakers in the stock location will interfear with the manual window crank if the = speaker rise off the door pannel too far.

4.    = If your van didn't come with speakers you may have to run new speaker wires.... = wires that are routed through the door hinge area will be bending a lot... the = same gauge wire with a higher number of smaller wires will bend more easily and = tent to take longer to break.... the wires should be protected in a flexible conduit.

5.    = If you pick a location other than the stock location for your speakers make sure = you wind the window up and down with the door pannel off to make sure there is = no interfearance with the back of the speaker.

That's all I can think of right now...

Bill