In a message dated 12/10/2000 10:55:04 PM Eastern Standard Time,
LISTSERV@GERRY.VANAGON.COM writes:

Re: Stainless Steel Head Studs

      David, yes do it. Do it now.  You will love it later.  All the engines
I've worked on I have done this.  But instead of studs use BOLTS.  Use
liberal amounts of anti-seize on the threads.  Make sure the threads in the
head are good and clean.  If not you can install new threads with a Helicoil
kit or drill and tap to the next larger size.  I like the next larger size
option as you can then get some real good torque on the exhaust flange bolts
which will keep them from leaking.  If you go with the larger size bolt you
will need to drill out the exhaust flange bolt holes.  Either way make the
holes in the flanges a little large that the bolt your using by using a hole
reamer.  This little trick will allow the header pipes to fit without any
undo stress on the flange which is one of the reasons for stress cracking at
the flanges.  This also w! ill prevent any damage to the bolt and the threads
in the head.
      While your in there consider the STEBRO/Vanagon Stainless Steel
Exhaust System
.  I have a muffler and J-pipe available for your van.
Stainless steel header pipes are available from The Bus Depot - Discount VW
Parts.

Cheers

Frank Condelli
Almonte, Ontario, Canada
'87 Westy & Lionel Trains
Member: Vanagon List, LiMBO, IWCCC & Capital City VW Club
Vanagon/Vanagon Westfalia Service in the Ottawa Valley
STEBRO/Vanagon Stainless Steel Mufflers
Frank Condelli & Associates or http://frankcondelli.com