Two things that people on this list have shared with me and I have found to
be very helpful in starting diesel anythings (Van, Jetta, etc).

1. Get multiweight oil!  We were running straight 30 weight oil for a long
time and having hard winter starts.  I switched to 10w-40 per someones
suggestion and the engine turns over noticably faster and starts much easier.
 I don't know why but diesel people seem to like to run straight weight oil
for some reason.  If you are, make the switch and you will be glad.

2. Be sure your electrical connections to your battery and the battery itself
are up to par.  Install the largest positive battery cable you possibly can
from the positive post of the battery to the starter.  Be sure all your
connections are tight and clean (grounds, posts, etc).  Be sure you are
running at least a 850 CCA battery in a diesel since they require extra juice
to get spinning (my Dad has twin 1000 CCA batteries in his diesel Suburban,
if the engine quits we just run on battery power :).

These two hints will change dramatically the ease of starting of any vehicle
but especially diesels and especially in winter when they are the hardest to
start.

Hope this helps.

P.S.  This message takes for granted that you have checked that all your glow
plugs are in good working order and your fuel filter and fuel system are in
good condition.

Thanks,
Ken Wilford
http://www.vanagain.com