How thick of a file? also sounds like a = dumb question but what is the rotation of the engine? clockwise? I plan to = turn the motor over by hand a few times to get the feel of it. Then I will turn = it over by hand after I am done and see what it feels like if it does not feel = right I can go back and check it! Where are these orings you mention at? Where = on the motor is the motor number, I want to make sure it is just a stock diesel!
----- Original Message -----
From: Joe Romas
To: Frederick M. Wasserstein =
Sent: Thursday, December 28, = 2000 6:56 AM
Subject: Re: Timing Belt, Tools = and etc.

Your in luck.

    If you improvise, = you can use a file and shims as required to hold the camshaft. The pulley is NOT = keyed to the cam, just a taper fit. So you must be carefull. You can use a 3/8" = drive deep socket to hold the pump. Also like some (all?) fiats, the engins = is a interference engine where it you hav it wrong, it's history for the = valves. The o ring is behind the carrier for the intermediate shaft, replace = it by all means. Also the oil seal for the can and intermediate seals should be replaced.

Joe
(diesel fan)
99.5 jetta tdi
90 jetta gas