I've used the ADDCO rear sway bars on many Vanagon's with great success. The = mounting brackets could be better designed. I have made brackets to use this sway = bar on a Syncro. The Vanagon has so much under steer that adding this bar = without changing the front sway bar has not been a problem.

Dennis

-----Original Message-----
From: Vanagon Mailing = List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com]On Behalf Of Robert Lilley
Sent: Saturday, January 06, 2001 11:15 = AM
To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM
Subject: My Sway bar thoughts and = Rear sway bars- Source: $119 kit F or R

I was told by ADDCO to get the = bars from a dealer to get a better price than
direct. =

http://www.p-s-t.com/  Home page

http://www.p-s-t.com/swaytv.html#VOLKSWAGON =

If you are going to add a rear, you need to increase the size of the = front so
that it is larger than the rear, to keep cornering balance = correct.

If you want better control for cornering:

1) Look at = the current bushings.  If they are rotted/cracked/mushy you can =
replace them to improve control.

2) If yours are OK, The stock rubber = bushings have about an inch of play
before the bushing "catch" and slows = body roll
There is a metal spacer tube that the bushing fit around. =  The nut is tight
on the spacer.  You can cut some of the spacer off to = make the sway bar act
quicker.
(I have access to a set of spacers that = I will experiment with)

Say cut the spacer in half, bolt it back = together to see if this gives you
adequate control.

3) If not and you = want more control, you can replace the stock soft rubber
with urethane. =
You need to take the current bushing out and go to a speed shop and get a
bushing that matches.

4) Want more control, add a bigger = front sway bar.

5) Still want more control (don't we all...) Add a = rear sway bar. Just make
sure that you have added a size larger than the = rear bar to the front
otherwise the steering might get off in corners. =

Robert